Paranormal Protection Agency (Cthulhu)
In regions and realms where magic is no longer as available a commodity as it once was, the Musketeer has sprung-up to replace the spellflingers. Though not even close to the versatility that a Mage can bring to the battlefield, the Musketeer has a potent-enough weapon and more than enough knowledge in its’ use.
Skills: Concentration 3 Ranks, Craft (Weaponsmithing) 4 ranks.
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Weapon Focus – Any 1 Firearm
|1||+1||+2||+2||+0||Close Combat Shot, Overcharge|
Hit Die: d10.
The Musketeer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Ride (Dex), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex)
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.
All of the following are class features of the Musketeer.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency
A Musketeer gains no additional Armor or Weapon proficiencies.
Close Combat Shot: At first level, the Musketeer is able to use their firearm while in a threatened square without provoking an attack of opportunity, this includes any rounds spent reloading the firearm.
Overcharge: Knowing how the weapon functions is key to mastery – as a Standard Action, the Musketeer may make an attack with his firearm, increasing the damage of the weapon by his Intelligence Modifier plus his Musketeer Class Level. This extra damage is applicable to any creature normally susceptible to standard damage, unlike other forms of extra damage. i.e. Constructs, Plants, Undead, and other such creatures gain no special immunity to the extra damage from an Overcharged firearm. However, Fortification effects are applied normally. This additional damage is a Perfection Bonus to Damage.
· Because any firearm can be Overcharged, the Musketeer can setup a weapon for another persons use. Doing so imparts a -5 penalty to the attack roll if the user doesn’t have the Overcharge Class Feature.
·Utilizing an Overcharged shot is not for the feint of heart, for a natural 1 on the attack roll results in disaster, applying full damage to the firearm and everything within that five foot square.
·Finally, Overcharged shots are normally incapable of benefitting from the Modified Shot class feature; which is essentially a Modified Shot in and of itself.
Sniper’s Aim: As a Full Round Action, the Musketeer can line-up a shot with careful aim and precision. The Musketeer’s attack denies the target any DEX bonus to Armor Class, including Dodge bonuses.
Modified Shot: Every time the Musketeer gains this Class Feature, he selects one of the Modified Shots listed below. This Class Feature modifies the way an attack from the Musketeer’s firearm is handled, as detailed in the description of each Modified Shot. Using a Modified Shot requires an additional Move Action when the weapon is loaded. This is above and beyond any action-time required to reload the weapon normally.
· Because any firearm can use a Modified Shot, the Musketeer can setup a weapon for another persons use. Doing so imparts a -5 penalty to the attack roll if the user doesn’t have the Modified Shot Class Feature.
·Utilizing a Modified Shot is not for the feint of heart, for a natural 1 on the attack roll results in disaster, applying full damage to the firearm and everything within that five foot square.
·Once a Musketeer selects one form of Modified Shot, they cannot change that selection, only gaining a new form of Modified Shot when they’ve attained a high enough level.
·Finally, Modified Shots are normally incapable of benefitting from the Overcharge class feature; which is essentially a Modified Shot in and of itself.
- Multishot: Placing additional shot in the barrel of the firearm enables the Musketeer to make an attack with his firearm against two targets. Both targets must be Adjacent to eachother, and the Musketeer must be able to target both creatures normally. A seperate attack roll is checked for each. Damage is rolled once and applied to both targets.
- Non-lethal: Swapping out the standard projectile for rocksalt, wood chits, or some other soft-projectile enables the Musketeer to have his firearm deal non-lethal damage. This damage has no penalty to the attack roll associated with it, unlike normal Non-lethal damage forms. If a natural 1 is rolled on the attack roll, the damage taken by the musketeer and weapon is lethal.
- Penetrating: Much in the way a Musketeer is able to overcharge his weapon, he too can overprime the weapon, causing the firearm’s projectile to behave in a different manner than normal. The next attack made with the primed firearm is a Line-effect, with a range of 60 feet. A single attack roll is made and checked against each target within the line of effect. Damage is rolled once and applied to all targets. Barriers are likewise checked, and if penetrated, the projectile continues on its path.
- Spread: Much like the manner in which the Musketeer is capable of placing more charge in his firearm than required, the Musketeer knows how to load extra Shot in the muzzle of the weapon. The next attack made is a cone-spread with a range of 30 feet. A single attack roll is made and checked against each target within the spread of the cone. Damage is rolled once and applied to all targets.
Bonus Feat: At 4th level and again at 8th level, the Musketeer gains a Bonus Feat which must be combat-related or otherwise related to Firearms in general.
Rapid Reload: Normally a firearm takes some time to reload, longer than that of a crossbow. The Musketeer, however, has been through the motions so many times that reloading their firearms can be completed in a matter of seconds. For the Musketeer with this feature, reloading a firearm requires a Move-Action.
True Marksman: The penultimate talent of Musketeers is the ability to make impossible shots on the fly. No longer must they spend a Full-Round action to gain the benefits of Sniper’s Aim class feature, or a Standard Action to gain the benefits of the Overcharge class feature. These class features are now free-actions, allowing the Musketeer to take full advantage of their iterative of attacks with these Class Features.